If there was a proven winning strategy to playing online slot machines, everyone would be using it, and the software providers and game development studios that make the games, along with the online casinos that host the games, would quickly go out of business.
In other words, there is no winning approach, but it all boils down to luck. However, there are in fact some things you can do to improve your chances of winning or strategies that can help you hold onto your gaming bankroll for much longer periods. Let’s dive straight in to discover more about today’s best online slot machine strategies.
What Are Some of the Strategies I Can Use When Playing Online Slot Machines?
There are several strategies you may like to try when you next play online slot machines at a fast payout casino site. Some of the most common slot strategies used by online casino players today are the following:
- Look for online slots with above-average return to player percentage (RTP%) payout rates. While a higher RTP doesn’t guarantee you to win, it does increase your long-term chances. The higher the RTP is, the more the slot will pay you out on average.
That’s why many players specifically seek out slots with high/above average RTP% payout rates of 98% or higher, as opposed to playing slots with an average of 92% to 95% payout rate.
- Practice playing slots, where possible, in the free-play demo mode before launching them in the real money mode. This is to familiarise yourself with the features and gameplay and figure out if you like the game or not. There’s no point spending money on a slot that you don’t find enjoyable at all.
- Always check the stake before hitting spin. In some slots, you may find that the default stake value is set to $2.00 or $2.50 per spin. To correspond better with your budget, you may want to reduce this to $0.20 or $0.25 per spin.
- If you hit a winning streak, try increasing your stake a bit. Similarly, if you feel as though you have hit a losing streak, either reduce the stake, try another slot, or take a break.
Although there is no supporting math behind this strategy, players commonly increase their stakes when they are running well in the hope of winning big. This is because they don’t have to risk their own deposited money, but only their current winnings.
Taking a break or changing the game when you feel like things are only going downhill can be a good idea to avoid frustration. Remember, gambling is all about having fun.
- Set a win/loss, session time, or deposit limit to stop you from overspending. Limiting your time on electronic devices is always a good idea, but it’s particularly important when you’re gambling for real money. The last thing you want to do is to develop a bad gambling habit.
- Choose a slot with the volatility level you are most comfortable with. For example, high volatility means less frequent wins but higher-valued wins when they land, and low volatility means more frequent wins but less substantial in value. The volatility level of the slot basically determines the short-term risk you are taking.
- Take advantage of strong welcome offers from casinos. New players have a lot of competitive bonuses to choose from that will increase their chances of winning from slots by giving them more money to play with. This includes no deposit bonuses and deposit bonuses with high match percentages of up to 500%.
Seasoned players can find their own bonuses, too. Deals tailored for high roller players are well worth looking out for as they can boost your bankroll by up to $10,000 in some cases.
These are just some of the most common strategies you can use when playing online slot machines, and they are easy to implement.
What Else Can I Do?
There are a few more things you can do. For example, if a casino operator offers you 5 or 10 free spins to try out a new slot or gives you free spins just because you made a deposit, don’t let them go to waste.
You never know; those 5 free spins you just claimed could turn into $10.00 or more which could then be used to play your favourite slots, and if lucky, that could snowball into even bigger wins.
Another thing you can do when playing progressive jackpot slots is to bet MAX. If you look at the paytable of many of today’s most famous jackpot slots, it clearly states that betting max increases the chance of winning the jackpot.
This is a risky strategy though as it can quickly eat away your bankroll. Even with the highest chance of winning the jackpot, it is still slim. Normally, only high rollers with huge budgets attempt this strategy.
If you look at some of the biggest progressive jackpot wins from the past twenty years, players have won $10 and even $100 million jackpots from as little as $0.20 to $2.00 per spin. This means that you don’t necessarily have to bet big to win big. Whether you are a low-budget player or a high roller, it is possible to get lucky and hit a life-changing jackpot win.